Photo by Blog Author

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Robert Doisneau





I've chosen upload two photos by Robert Doisneau, "Le Baiser de l'Hotel de Ville," and "Le Velo du Printemp." Most of us are probably familiar with the photo on the left, "Le Basier de l'Hotel de Ville," since it seems to be a favorite at the Sykes poster sales. By uploading this photo, we are able to compare the two, and see Doisneau's distinct style. This particular photographer is known for capturing Parisian life in black and white. His photos usually consist of people on the streets, often time a pair of kissing lovers can be seen somewhere in the photos. I found "Le Velo du Printemp" intriguing for its innocence. The subjects are engaged in a close conversation aside a dirt trail, as if they stopped for a minute to take in the view. Photos like this make me wonder just what they were chatting about. While the couple (at least I assume that they are a couple) is not kissing, I find this photo to be more romantic that the other. Perhaps it's because I've seen the other too often. I like Doisneau's use of black and white; it lends a sense of cohesiveness to all of his work.

1 comment:

  1. I like how the kissing couple is in sharp focus while everything in the background is slightly blurred. It suggests that these two are the only people who matter despite the world that is going on all around them.

    ReplyDelete